Becton Dickinson Syringes and Needles Amendment to Instructions for Use (ICN 1183)
Important Customer Notice Field Safety Notice
- Becton Dickinson has issued an advisory Field Safety Notice to advise of an added caution to their instructions for use for a range of syringes and needles.
- Becton Dickinson has become aware that when syringes and needles are used for intraocular injections, the potential exists for “floaters” in patients’ eyes which are believed to be due to silicone.
- To reduce this risk of silicone floaters and inflammation or irritation that may occur, HCPs should only use the syringes and needles provided with ocular medications that are specifically designed and labelled for intravitreal injection.
- There are five products listed in the Field Safety Notice. Two of these products are available via NHS Supply Chain as:
|FWC121||309628||Hypodermic syringe1ml luer lock concentric|
|FWC429||303172||Tuberculin syringe luer slip concentric|
- Please see our Downloads ▼ section to refer to the Field Safety Notice for further information on the affected products.
- Ensure the contents of this Field Safety Notice, including the contraindications, are read and understood by all within your organisation who may use the products listed.
- Complete and return the Customer Response Form (found on page 3 of the Field Safety Notice) and return to: BDUKFieldAction@bd.com no later than 29 January 2021.
- If you are no longer in possession of or use the devices listed in the Field Safety Notice, indicate this on the response form and return to Becton Dickinson to enable them to update their records.
If you have any further questions, please contact your local NHS Supply Chain Customer Service Advisor.
1183 Becton Dickinson Field Safety NoticeA PDF of the Field Safety Notice for ICN 1183.