Becton Dickinson Venflon Pro™ IV Cannula (ICN 1277)
Important Customer Notice Update
- Following the Field Safety Notice from Becton Dickinson (BD) to remove BD Venflon Pro™ I.V. Cannulae, there has been a further update.
- The BD Venflon Pro™ I.V. Cannulae will not be available until at least May 2022. Customers will not be able to order these product codes via NHS Supply Chain or direct from BD.
- Potential indirect alternative product codes are available to order through our online catalogue.
- Please see our Downloads ▼ section to refer to the product listing for further information on the affected product code and alternative products.
- Customers are advised to log into our website to view the potential indirect alternative products.
- If you have any further questions, please contact your local NHS Supply Chain Customer Relationship Manager or Customer Services Advisor.
Please note that due to the clinical nature of these alternative products we advise you to consult your own clinical experts to ensure suitability for your organisations use of these products.
- Beckton Dickinson (BD) has issued a Field Safety Notice to remove BD Venflon Pro™ I.V. Cannulae.
- BD has confirmed an increase in reports for leakage from the injection port of the BD Venflon Pro™ I.V. Cannula.
- The identified root cause is the change to EtO sterilization.
- The leakage could result in a critical clinical impact if the leak is undetected for a period of time, as it has the potential to result in blood loss or inadequate infusion of the infusate.
- This could result in serious harm or even life-threatening conditions or death.
- BD has also issued a Field Safety Notice regarding Venflon Pro™ Safety Needle Protected I.V. Cannula, MDS-20-3801, details of this notice can be found in ICN 1218. (Please see our Useful Links ? section)
- There are five affected products available via NHS Supply Chain:
|VENFLON PRO 14GA 2.0MM OD 45MM L
|VENFLON PRO 16GA 1.8MM OD 45MM L
|VENFLON PRO 18GA 1.3MM OD 45MM L
|VENFLON PRO 20GA 1.1MM OD 32MM L
|VENFLON PRO 22GA 0.9MM OD 25MM L
- Please see our Downloads ▼ section to refer to the Field Safety Notice and Product Listing for further information on the affected product codes.
- Ensure that suitable alternatives are available to maintain care provision, once in place, withdraw and dispose of affected product at the earliest opportunity.
- Follow the instructions in the Field Safety Notice.
- If you require BD to collect and dispose of your impacted products, please indicate this in the customer reply form.
- Circulate the notice to all within your organisation who may use the affected products.
- Complete and return the Customer Reply Form on page 3 of the Field Safety Notice to BDUKFieldAction@bd.com as soon as possible but no later than 17 June 2021. It is important you return this form even if you no longer use the product.
- Contact your local NHS Supply Chain Customer Service Advisor with details of destroyed products to enable us to manage any customer credits on your behalf, as appropriate.
- Where required, potential indirect alternative products are available to order through our online catalogue. Please refer to the Product Listing for information on alternative products.
- Safety Ported Cannulae alternatives are available should Clinicians want to consider these, for example below are BD products:
SP5001, FSP5002, FSP5003, FSP5004, FSP5005.
- Other Safety Ported Cannulae are available on this Framework.
- These products will be demand managed with a total weekly threshold that has been set based on existing usage to ensure fair allocation and smooth demand.
- Systemically the thresholds are set daily based on a division of the total weekly threshold to give the daily quantity that can be ordered up to.
- Customers are advised to order small quantities regularly to meet your clinical needs. The restrictions may mean customers have to order daily to meet their weekly requirement.
- Customers will not be able to place bulk orders to replace all BD impacted stock at once.
- Manage orders locally through a reduced number of requisition points. The order restrictions are made at an organisation level, which may mean product is delivered to different requisition points in the organisation and not others.
- To best manage the disruption locally, customers should consider which requisition points are used to order these products to enable effective distribution of product across the organisation.
- Customers will be contacted by Customer Services if their order has been amended.
If you have any further questions, please contact BDUKFieldAction@bd.com, your local NHS Supply Chain Customer Relationship Manager or Customer Services Advisor.