Nationally Contracted Products (NCP) : Couch Roll and Wipers (ICN 710)
Important Customer Notice NCP
- The renewal of the Couch Roll and Wipers NCP procurement exercise has now been awarded and has achieved a national cost avoidance. This is to mitigate against a requested supplier price increase of 25% to cover increasing costs.
- Both the Couch Roll and Wiper products are made from over issued newspaper, which is a key component accounting for 70% of the overall product make up. In the last 4 years, the market has seen increases in the cost of over issued newspaper, paper and pulp, along with a shortage in supply. Rising energy prices have also had an impact on the energy intensive paper making process, contributing to around 18% of the overall product make up.
- The main objective of this NCP procurement activity was to supersede this by mitigating the requested price increases and to also stabilise product pricing for 24 months. In turn the outcome is to deliver the best price into the NHS.
- Essity has been awarded as the sole supplier for both Couch Roll and Wipers.
- As of 2 June 2019, the products of the unsuccessful supplier, Kimberley Clark Limited, will be delisted from the online catalogue for a minimum period of 24 months.
- The NCP product will become available to order on 3 June 2019.
- The proposed price increase has been reduced from 25% to 14.5%* and will deliver a cost avoidance to the NHS of 10.5%*.
- For information on trust specific savings opportunities please contact your Account Manager. Trust Impact Statements will be available in the week commencing 13 May 2019.
- If you have any questions about the Nationally Contracted Products, please contact your local NHS Supply Chain Account Manager.
*NCP aims to implement the Carter Report recommendations to harness the national buying power of the NHS, remove “unwarranted product variation” and improve efficiency. NCP focuses on reducing variety at a sub category level and channelling national commitment to this optimised product range to drive savings.