Supply Issues Baxter Healthcare Administration Sets Multiple Products (ICN 1868)
Important Customer Notice Supply Issues
- The supplier Baxter Healthcare has informed us of a supply issue with a range of its Administration Sets.
- There are six product codes affected.
- The supply issue is due to an issue with the labelling of these products which has led to a supply disruption.
- There is a potential for Clinical and/or Patient Safety impacts as a result of this issue.
- The affected product codes are currently suspended.
- One of the suspended products, FSC092, is subject to Control Demand Management.
- The potential indirect alternatives may be subject to Protect Demand Management.
- The product listing has been updated with the demand management status of each product:
- Control – These products are unavailable to order as they are subject to Control Demand Management. If you have an urgent clinical need for any of the suspended codes and have not been able to source them through the Mutual Aid process, you need to complete and submit the Control Suspended Consumables Product Submission Webform. See our Useful Links section to access this web form.
- Protect – These products are being threshold managed and are subject to Protect Demand Management. The product codes remain available to order through NHS Supply Chain. However, trusts are allocated a maximum daily quantity “threshold” to ensure fair supply of available stock across the NHS. See our Downloads section for a full list of product codes subject to Protect Demand Management.
- Sustain– These products are available to order, however excessive single requests for demand may be subject to Demand Management.
- Any updates to Demand Management or Suspension status of the affected products and their indirect alternatives will be updated on a weekly basis
- See our Downloads section to access the product listing for further information on the affected product codes and potential alternatives.
- Please note this supply disruption also affects a number of irrigation sets, please refer to ICN 1869 for further information.
- The supply issue is anticipated to be ongoing until early 2023.
- Customers are advised to log into our website to review the suggested potential indirect alternative products, taking into account their clinical suitability.
- The supplier has provided some additional information around alternatives, please refer to the attached letter.
- We have included a copy of the Information for Clinical Choice (ICC) matrix for IV administration sets where customers can find further details of suitable alternatives. Please note, the listed alternatives in the ICC and product listing may be subject to intermittent supply and a number of these are currently suspended.
- Customers may wish to consider single chamber gravity blood sets as an alternative; however this will be based on local clinical assessment of suitability.
- A number of the affected products are pump dedicated administration sets, for further guidance on alternatives please contact the supplier’s product manager email@example.com.
- If you have any further questions, please contact your local NHS Supply Chain Customer Services Advisor.
Please note that due to the clinical nature of these alternative products we advise you to consult your own clinical experts to ensure suitability for your organisations use of these products.