Financial (Reporting) Accountant
Job Posted: 15 February 2023
Job Updated: 16 March 2023
Job Ref: 411
Salary: £35,250 – £41,471
Closing Date: Friday 31st March 2023
We have an exciting opportunity within NHS Supply Chain for a Financial (Reporting) Accountant to join our Finance team. The Financial (Reporting) Accountant will deliver accurate internal reporting and analysis to internal and external stakeholders, to support timely decision making, and ensure the accurate delivery of external reporting (statutory accounts, stakeholder and ONS reporting). The Financial (Reporting) Accountant will be the SME for technical financial advice, writing technical papers and advising as necessary. The Financial (Reporting) Accountant will also be responsible for payroll reporting, as well as management of the Internal and External audits.
What does a Financial Accountant do at NHS Supply Chain?
- Ownership of balance sheet accounting for the organisation, ensuring balance sheet reconciliations are accurate, up to date and supported by suitable commentary and analytical review to identify areas of risk and drive actions to mitigate
- Support delivery of internal monthly management reporting, quarterly stakeholder reporting, annual statutory accounting and periodic ONS reporting, ensuring accurate and timely production; liaising with audit teams as required
- Deliver governance and develop appropriate processes for monitoring and reporting reconciliation and risk status
- Lead and manage process improvement in Finance processes, delivering efficiencies and shared service benefits
- Ensure internal and external audit recommendations related to processes are reviewed and implemented
- Maintain up to date knowledge of applicable accounting standards and regulations; ensuring the impact of any changes is interpreted, reviewed and applied in a timely manner.
- Responsibility for payroll reporting
- Undertake ad hoc financial analysis/forecasting to support the business in effective and informed decision-making
- Continual review of processes and procedures to drive continuous improvement.
- Involvement in projects as and when necessary, ensuring that Finance processes and controls are considered
What skills, qualifications and qualities do I need to be successful?
- Demonstrate key analytical skills to help support business decisions in respect of projects and commercial matters
- Use analytical skills to help review and challenge outputs from the wider team
- Post-qualification experience within Management or Financial Accounting and/or Audit
- Core finance knowledge, with in-depth awareness and understanding of accounting standards and technical guidance
- Proven experience of leading balance sheet accounting and application of accounting standards
- Good attention to detail with ability to prioritise and manage a varied workload to meet agreed deadlines
- Experience of using a Financial System (Oracle preferred)
- Intermediate Excel Skills essential (Pivot Tables, Lookup Formulae)
- Support of system implementations and CI teams
- A professional accountancy qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent)
- Qualification or equivalent experience demonstrating proficiency of MS Office Applications
How you’ll work
This role will be hybrid working; a blend of home and office working.
In return for your passion, enthusiasm, and hard work you will be rewarded with an attractive salary and benefits package, consisting of:
- Performance led annual bonus scheme
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays, with the option to purchase up to an additional 5 days
- Generous contributory pension scheme (up to 12% of your salary)
- Flexible benefits scheme – you will be able to choose from a variety of benefits such Life Insurance, Critical Illness Cover, Income Protection, Health Cash Plan, Dental Insurance and additional pension contributions that suit you
- 3 days paid Volunteering Leave
- Access to the Blue Light Card and NHS Discounts
- Flexible working options
- National Annual season ticket purchase scheme
- Eye Care vouchers
- Employee Assistance Programme
NHS Supply Chain, who are we?
We are a part of the NHS family, and our role is to source, deliver and supply healthcare products, services and food for NHS trusts and healthcare organisations across England and Wales. We make sure the products we supply are always safe, quality assured and delivered efficiently.
We’re always listening to the people who use our products, so that we’re aware of the changing needs across the NHS. In all, we serve every NHS Trust and operate a national network of distribution centres. We also manage relationships with more than a thousand suppliers, delivering more than 8,000,000 orders each year to more than 17,000 locations.
And by doing all of this on behalf of the NHS, this gives NHS staff more time to focus on their main priority of proving excellent patient care.
Our, Purpose, Vision and Strategy are clear. We provide direction, leadership, and commercial focus to improve health outcomes.
Vision: To make it easier for the NHS to put patients first
Purpose: Our role is to support the NHS to save lives and improve health
- Be Authentic
- Be Inclusive
- Be Driven
- Be Enterprising
- Be The Difference
- SCCL is a not an NHS organisation, you will join on SCCL terms and conditions.
- For more information on SCCL and the NHS Supply chain please visit: www.supplychain.nhs.uk
NHS Supply Chain is an equal opportunities employer
SCCL is a company Registered in England and Wales, with company number 10881715, to act as the management function of the NHS Supply Chain.
SCCL values and respects the diversity of its employees and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities. We welcome applications irrespective of people’s age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances.
Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process.
SCCL reserve the right to close any vacancies from further submissions when we have received sufficient applications from which to make a shortlist. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role.
If you are shortlisted for interview you will be required to provide proof of ID and the right to work in the UK.