High Protein Snacks for COVID-19 Patients
After testing positive for COVID-19, patients can display a range of symptoms, all of which can be aided by dietetics and nutritional advice on the sort of foods to choose.
Our in-house dietitian Joanna Instone has put together a great resource to support with snacks specifically. Variety is key so we’ve offered a selection that still meet the needs and made it easier to browse and to order.
Many post COVID-19 patients have some or all of these symptoms:
- Difficulty eating and drinking due to shortness of breath
- Weight loss: loss of fat stores / muscle and organ tissue
- Depleted immune system
- Difficulties with chewing and swallowing
- Taste/smell changes
- Other associated health problems.
When aiding recovery, these patients are encouraged to:
- Choose small, fortified meals from the menu
- Eat high protein / high energy snacks between meals
- Drink one or more high in protein and energy drink a day
- Eat a variety of foods including fruit and vegetables that supply useful vitamins and minerals, which are needed to enable recovery of muscles, organ tissue and the immune system.
Please note: for some more complex patients, high protein foods are not recommended, so always consult your local dietitian.
There are two steps you can take as a chef or caterer that could help the situation:
- Provide higher energy, fortified meal choices on the menu
- Provide a range of suitable snacks to offer a variety of flavours and textures.
By working with colleagues in the NHS Supply Chain: Food teams we have drawn up a list of high protein/energy snack foods that may be suitable for post COVID-19 patients, as well as other patients.
To make ordering these easier, we have created a simple overview, which includes:
- Order code
- Pack size / cost of pack
- Cost per portion
- Protein and energy (calories) per portion
- IDDSI status.
Note that these foods are also suitable for other patients requiring high protein or high energy snacks.
See our Downloads ▼ section for a categorised list of snacks
High Protein and High Energy SnacksHigh Protein Snack Suggestions For Patient Recovery