Veganuary is here
What is ‘Veganuary’?
Veganuary is a UK non-profit organisation encouraging people to go vegan for the month of January as a way of promoting and educating about vegan lifestyles, See our Useful Links 🔗 section for further information. Since the event began in 2014, participation has more than doubled each year. Veganuary has inspired and supported more than half a million people in 178 countries to try vegan for January – and beyond.
Vegan: A growing trend
- In 2018, over 600,000 people were believed to be vegan in the UK
- There was also an increase in the number of “flexitarians” choosing to reduce their consumption of animal products
- Orders of vegan takeaways grew 388% between 2016 and 2018, and vegetarian orders rose 137%, according to research by the British Takeaway Campaign.
Vegan products within the NHS Supply Chain frameworks
A key aspect of our product selection process is ensuring we have the suppliers and products to match growing industry trends, such as vegan. For instance:
- We have a wide range of products suitable for vegans in our Cold Beverages, Confectionery and Snacks framework, including carbonated drinks, fruit juice, popcorn, chickpea puffs, crisps, fruit crisps, fruit and nuts bars
- There’s also a wide range of vegan products within our Ambient framework, including gravy stocks, canned fruit and bottled sauces
- The majority of our Food to Go suppliers also offer a great range of vegan friendly flavours such as coronation chickpea, bhaji and pakora flavours.
See our Useful Links 🔗 section for further information on these frameworks.
See our Downloads ▼ section for the full list of vegan products available via NHS Supply Chain and some vegan recipes to help inspire you.
Get in touch
For more information, or to understand about how you can help promote Veganuary this January, please get in touch by emailing