NCP FAQs Medical Pulp, Macerators and Support Products
1. What is the aim of Nationally Contracted Products (NCP) and how are the products chosen?
The aim of this NCP exercise was to:
- Improve pricing to all NHS Supply Chain customers by renewing our original Medical Pulp NCP
- Expand the available NCP lines from eight to 13, covering 76% of the framework spend
- Rationalise the product range and provided a three year commitment with suppliers.
2. Which products have been included in this NCP?
A full list of all new and delisted products is available on the NCP Medical Pulp web page, see our Useful Links section for more information.
3. Which suppliers were successful?
The following suppliers were successful in this NCP exercise:
- Moulded Fibre Products Ltd
- Praxis Medical Ltd
- Unisurge International Ltd
- Vernacare Ltd.
4. Are any suppliers being delisted?
Products from the following supplier will be delisted:
5. How many products are being delisted?
- Nine products will be delisted from the framework in total.
A full list of all delisted products is available on the NCP medical pulp web page, see our Useful Links section for more information.
6. Will all products be stocked in all depots?
All products will be available nationally apart from line one, Detergent Proof Wash Bowls. Further information will be available in your Trust Impact Statement. Contact your Customer Relationship Manager for your Trust Impact Statement.
7. Can trusts choose which product to purchase?
Trusts will not be able to choose which product they purchase. Trusts will be supplied the product that is assigned to their current servicing depot, with the exception of Detergent Proof Wash Bowls where customers have been aligned to their incumbent product.
8. What happens if the depot that services my trust is out of stock of the allocated product?
If stock within the supplying depot is unavailable, orders will be fulfilled from another depot in the network.
9. Are the NPC codes changing?
Yes – see our Useful Links section for a full list of all new products available on the NCP for Medical Pulp.
10. Do I need to make any system changes to update standing orders and favourite lists?
Updates to favourites lists, standing orders and eDC requirements should be carried out by the trust in line with your normal procedures.
11. What supply chain resilience can you guarantee if one of the suppliers has a supply issue?
The NCP procurement process includes a range of due diligence activities to ensure there is supply chain resilience and sustainable continuity of supply to NHS customers. Both NHS Supply Chain and the suppliers have increased stock holding and, in the event of any supply issue, direct alternatives will be supplied, at point of order, at no extra cost to the trust.
12. What will happen if I choose to order directly from the supplier?
NHS England / Improvement (NHSE/I) have been engaging with trusts directly over the expectation that they will support this national programme. Support from trusts to achieve the volume savings for all partners.
13. Is there a risk that existing products will be delisted too soon?
Delisted stock lines will be listed as ‘available whilst stock lasts’ – any remaining stock will still be available until stock has been depleted. You can continue to utilise your stocks of the current lines until these have also been depleted.
14. What should trusts do if there are issues with the product they are allocated?
In the first instance please contact your Customer Services Advisor.
15. What if my trust is currently buying a similar product at a cheaper price?
Benchmarking prices using NHSI’s national price benchmarking tool, Spend Comparison Service (SCS), will highlight where a trust may be paying a cheaper local price. We would ask you to please notify NHSE/I and your Customer Relationship Manager of these instances in order that the situation can be addressed.
16. What support will be available to trusts during the implementation/conversion period to minimise the impact on current resources?
Support will be available from your Customer Relationship Manager, and the successful suppliers can provide you with product training and information if required.
Information is also available via our Clinical Nurse Advisors.
See our Useful Links section for more information.
17. Where can I find the NCP Customer Report for more detailed information about the products and specifications?
The NCP Customer Report can be found on the website.
See our Useful Links section for more information.
18. Do suppliers use virgin pulp in the manufacture?
The products are made from over-issued newspaper which is recycled into medical pulp.
19. Will these products macerate?
All products that have been awarded to the NCP have passed PAS29:1999 which is a recognised standard for disposable pulp products in use in healthcare.
20. Where can I get more detailed information?
You can contact your Customer Relationship Manager or Customer Services Advisor, or see our Useful Links section for more information about the NCP programme.