Clinical and Sharps Waste Management
This framework starts on 1 November 2023, will run for 36 months and ends on 31 October 2026. There is an option to extend for an additional 12 months.
An amalgamation of two existing frameworks, Clinical Waste Containers, and Sharps Pads and Associated Products, this framework offers more suppliers, more product choice, new innovative products, and more sustainable products.
There are seven lots on this framework:
- Lot 1: Plastic Based Sharps and Clinical Waste Containers
- Lot 2: Non-Plastic Based Clinical Waste Containers
- Lot 3: Non-Plastic Based Sharps Containers
- Lot 4: Holders for Contaminated Swabs
- Lot 5: Sharps Pads
- Lot 6: Sharps Boxes (Needle Counters)
- Lot 7: Needle and Blade Removers.
Lot 7 includes a new innovative product supplied by NeedleDock. It is a small unit that can snap the needle from a syringe, which means the needle is sharps waste and the remainder of the product is clinical waste.
A National Pricing Matrix (NPM) will be available on lots 1 and 2, which will allow savings opportunities for customers who are able to consolidate their purchasing.
If you are interested in making savings via the NPM, please speak to your NHS Supply Chain Customer Relationship Manager.
Net Zero and Social Value
From April 2022 all of our frameworks have adopted the Procurement Policy Notice 06/20.
The suppliers on this framework have demonstrated their plans for:
- Tackling economic inequality
- Fighting climate change.
Sustainable opportunities/solutions/products on this framework
There is a drive for a reduction in carbon emissions and single-use plastics on this framework.
Lot 3 includes innovative new Clinical Waste Containers products that are manufactured using PCR, a recycled plastic to support the reduction in plastic.
Switching opportunities will be available for trusts to switch from single use plastic clinical waste containers to board-based alternatives. This will offer both sustainable and financial benefits.
Important notice – for stocked products only.
Following the move to Buy Price = Sell Price, new contract / framework prices will only come into effect when stock of all product at the old contract / framework price has been depleted.
See our Downloads ▼ section for the full list of delisted lines and details of all alternative products..
There are 14 suppliers in total on this framework, including six suppliers who manufacture some of their product ranges in the UK – Bunzl, Central Medical Suppliers, Vernacare (previously Frontier), Inpress, Mauser, and NeedleDock.
This is the full list of suppliers available on this framework:
- British Bins Ltd
- Bunzl Healthcare (Ex S/Syringe)
- Cardinal Health UK 432 Limited
- Central Medical Supplies Ltd (Cms)
- Econix Limited
- Fannin UK Ltd
- G&N Laboratory
- GV Health Ltd
- Inpress Precision Limited
- Mauser UK Ltd
- Medline Industries Ltd
- NeedleDock Ltd
- Valley Northern
- Vernacare International Limited (previously Frontier Plastics Limited).
- Leading suppliers on contract – providing enhanced range and value from a single source.
- Pay less – with NHS Supply Chain you have a wider range of product options so you can select the ones that are fit for purpose and value for money.
- Leave your tendering to us – spend less time and money on tendering and let our procurement specialists undertake it on your behalf.
- Back office savings – the efficiency of our service, ranging from e-ordering to consolidated deliveries, enables significant back office savings.
- An integrated approach – the financial benefits of NHS Supply Chain go beyond just product prices. Our approach is an integrated one that reduces cost throughout the supply chain, from raw materials to global logistics, resulting in a much lower total cost.
- Purchasing through our route – when there are changes in the market, we can help minimise the impact of price rises and give support with cost saving initiatives.
Our knowledge and expertise
- Dedicated Customer Relationship Managers – your day to day contact for all queries. They will help you identify savings opportunities, solve any issues on your behalf and ensure high service levels are always met.
- NHS Supply Chain Buyers – procurement specialists in their product fields who can give expert advice on new and alternative products.
- Implementation Team – experts in helping you set up the new processes and training required when introducing new products.
- Customer Services Team – with the daily support provided by our dedicated and knowledgeable advisors and service managers you know you are in safe hands.
- Customer Assurance – providing customers with the confidence and assurance of products using a process of clinical evaluation and engagement with clinical users. This ensures all products are clinically assured by the CaPA process supported by engagement with an aligned Trusted Customer.
Peace of mind
- Dependable deliveries – having access to the know-how and resources of one of the world’s largest logistics companies means we can offer unrivaled dependability and responsiveness when it comes to our delivery services.
- Framework agreement – awarded in accordance with European procurement legislation.
- Sustainable development – we are certified to ISO 140001 International Standard for Environment Management System.