The framework for Surgical Gloves starts on 27 November 2023, runs for 24 months and ends on 26 November 2025. There is the option for two additional 12-month extensions.
Sterile surgical gloves are worn to prevent contamination of the patient during invasive procedures and to protect the hand from exposure to potentially infectious materials. The gloves are either latex or non-latex.
Surgical gloves have more precise sizing with improved precision and sensitivity and are made to a higher standard. Double gloving is the practice of wearing two layers of medical gloves to reduce the danger of infection from glove failure or penetration of the gloves by sharp objects during clinical procedure, they are made from both latex and synthetic materials.
There is one lot on this framework for surgical gloves. This includes latex, synthetic, textured, sensitive, under glove and dual pack gloves.
Examination gloves are now available via their own standalone framework. See our Useful Links section for further detail.
This framework introduces what we consider to be an industry leading position on ethical procurement. In addition to all suppliers being required to pass the Modern Slavery Assessment Tool (MSAT) and the Labour Standards Assurance System (LSAS) they must also be independently audited as ‘low risk’ against all 11 of the International Labour Organisation’s (ILO’s) Indicators of Forced Labour: These are:
- Abuse of vulnerability
- Restriction of movement
- Physical and sexual violence
- Intimidation and threats
- Retention of identity documents
- Withholding of wages
- Debt bondage
- Abusive working and living conditions
- Excessive overtime
Orders can only be placed with a supplier on the framework once they provide a third-party audit report demonstrating low risk against all the indicators.
We also require suppliers to confirm which manufacturer produces the gloves so that we can link National Product Codes (NPCs) to audit reports.
These requirements will be monitored across the lifetime of the framework and suppliers that do not comply will have their products suppressed, preventing orders being placed until the standards are met.
The framework provides National Pricing Matrices (NPM) from several suppliers, which will allow savings opportunities for customers who are able to consolidate their purchasing.
The framework will also provide the opportunity for product switching savings by moving to alternative brands.
Please speak to your Integrated Care Systems (ICS) Manager if you are interested in these opportunities.
Since April 2022 all our frameworks have adopted the Procurement Policy Notice 06/20. The suppliers on this framework have demonstrated their plans for:
- Tackling economic inequality
- Equal opportunity
Each supplier on the framework has submitted Sustainability Plans setting out the measures they are taking to improve the sustainability of their products. Examples include:
- Using biofuel for shipping containers
- Sustainably sourced and recycled packaging
- Deliveries using electric vehicles or by rail
- Using renewable energy for office, warehouse or other operations
As a result of Covid there is now much greater surgical glove manufacturing capacity, which helps increase supply resilience.
This, combined with our increased knowledge of the global manufacturing base, means we are better able to identify potential risks and mitigate them by building resilience into our sourcing strategies.
Important notice – for stocked products only.
Following the move to Buy Price = Sell Price, new contract / framework prices will only come into effect when stock of all product at the old contract / framework price has been depleted.
56 lines will be delisted.
See our Downloads section for the full list of delisted lines and details of all alternative products.
Please note that during the lifetime of this framework suppliers may move in and out of ‘unconditional’ status depending on the results of their annual third-party ILO Forced Labour Audit Report.
Suppliers who are not compliant will have their products suppressed until the requirements are met. NHS Supply Chain will monitor this closely to prevent any risk of supply.
This is a full list of suppliers on the framework. All are incumbent suppliers from the previous framework:
- Ansell Healthcare
- Cardinal Health
- Globus (Shetland)
- Meditrade UK Ltd
- Medline Industries
- Polyco Healthline
- Semperit Investment.
- Euro Packaging Ltd
- Fannin Ltd
- Omnimedical Ltd.
- Leading suppliers on contract – providing enhanced range and value from a single source.
- Pay less – with NHS Supply Chain you have a wider range of product options so you can select the ones that are fit for purpose and value for money.
- Leave your tendering to us – spend less time and money on tendering and let our procurement specialists undertake it on your behalf.
- Back office savings – the efficiency of our service, ranging from e-ordering to consolidated deliveries, enables significant back office savings.
- An integrated approach – the financial benefits of NHS Supply Chain go beyond just product prices. Our approach is an integrated one that reduces cost throughout the supply chain, from raw materials to global logistics, resulting in a much lower total cost.
- Purchasing through our route – when there are changes in the market, we can help minimise the impact of price rises and give support with cost saving initiatives.
Our knowledge and expertise
- Dedicated Customer Relationship Managers – your day to day contact for all queries. They will help you identify savings opportunities, solve any issues on your behalf and ensure high service levels are always met.
- NHS Supply Chain Buyers – procurement specialists in their product fields who can give expert advice on new and alternative products.
- Implementation Team – experts in helping you set up the new processes and training required when introducing new products.
- Customer Services Team – with the daily support provided by our dedicated and knowledgeable advisors and service managers you know you are in safe hands.
- Customer Assurance – providing customers with the confidence and assurance of products using a process of clinical evaluation and engagement with clinical users. This ensures all products are clinically assured by the CaPA process supported by engagement with an aligned Trusted Customer.
Peace of mind
- Dependable deliveries – having access to the know-how and resources of one of the world’s largest logistics companies means we can offer unrivaled dependability and responsiveness when it comes to our delivery services.
- Framework agreement – awarded in accordance with European procurement legislation.
- Sustainable development – we are certified to ISO 140001 International Standard for Environment Management System.