In response to customer feedback, we now provide ‘Early Informs’ to ensure we are giving you information about potential supply disruption as soon as we can.
There are three status options for ‘Early Informs’ as follows:
- In Progress – we don’t yet have enough information to publish an Important Customer Notice (ICN) or it could be that we don’t need one if the issue is resolved quickly.
- Moved to ICN – an ‘Early Inform’ that has now progressed to a full ICN about the supply issue.
- Resolved – an issue that we informed you about but was resolved quickly and did not require an ICN.
Customers are advised to regularly visit our ICN pages https://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/product-information/customer-notices/ for the latest published ICN updates.
In all of these cases:
- We are working to collate all available information and assess any impact to NHS Supply Chain customers.
- Customers are reminded to order based on requirements, to support the entirety of the NHS having continuity of supply.
- If you have any immediate issues then please contact your Customer Relationship Manager or Customer Services Advisor.
Supply Issues Becton Dickinson UK Ltd Syringes, Needles and Associated Products
Date: 23 May 2023
- NHS Supply Chain is experiencing a short term supply issue due to a change in delivery lead times from Becton Dickinson.
- The product codes affected are
FWC021 Hypodermic Syringe 20ml Luer Slip Eccentric Clear plunger Sterile 300613
FWC035 Hypodermic Syringe 50ml Luer Slip 3 Piece Eccentric Clear Sterile 300866
FWC130 Prefilled Syringe Sterile Content 10ml Luer Lock 1 Piece Sterile Content Sterile 306575
FWC255 Hypodermic Syringe 10ml Luer Slip 3 Piece Concentric Clear Sterile 307736
FWC428 Hypodermic Syringe 10 Luer Lock 3 Piece Concentric Clear Sterile 305959
FWD018 Hypodermic Syringe 20ml Luer Lock 3 Piece Concentric Clear Sterile 300629.
- These product codes will be subject to protect demand management whilst we recover from this issue.
- The expected resolution date is week commencing 5 June 2023.
Supply Issues Amity International Virusolve Wipes
Date: 10 May 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of disruption to the supply of wipes by Amity International.
- The product code affected is FAL13168 – disinfectant wipes for hard surfaces.
- Amity expects this to be a temporary situation and we have requested further detail on the specifics and availability, so that we can confirm any impacts to orders for this product code.
- A full ICN will be published once more information is available.
Supply Issues Medtronic Limited GIA Stapling Products
Date: 11 April 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a production issue with the following product codes:
FGS272 / GIA6038S
FGS273 / GIA6048S
FGS278 / GIA6025L
FGS274 / GIA8038S
FGS275 / GIA8048S.
- The components that have been received to manufacture these products have been suspended by the engineering team at Medtronic due to specification errors. Production is likely to begin again this week (11 April 2023) but stock is not expected into the UK for at least six weeks. Stock is available, but this is limited.
- The Minimally Invasive Surgery team are currently discussing alternatives with suppliers and ensuring these are available to purchase through the NHS Supply Chain online catalogue.
- A full ICN will be published once more information is available.
Supply Issues Intersurgical Heat Moisture Exchange and Electrostatic Filters
Date: 3 March 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a potential supply issue affecting multiple Intersurgical Heat Moisture Exchange and Electrostatic Filters products.
- Due to manufacturing issues, suppliers have been experiencing disruption of supply on a number of heat and moisture filter products.
- We are working closely with the suppliers to ensure that suitable alternatives are available and expect recovery to be within the next few weeks.
- A full ICN will be published once the affected products and suitable alternative products are confirmed.
Supply Issues Q Range of Disposable Infusion Pumps Avanos
Date: 22 February 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware that Avanos are discontinuing manufacture of these products from June 2023.
- There are 44 product codes affected.
- Our clinical team are currently looking to identify a Matrix of alternative products.
Supply Issues Circular Stapling Range Johnson & Johnson
Date: 10 January 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a potential problem with CDH circular staplers supplied by Johnson & Johnson.
- It is possible that these products are being allocated by region.
- We are investigating and if required an ICN with further details will be issued as soon as possible.
Delisting – All Convatec (Unomedical) Products
Date: 21 December 2022
- NHS Supply Chain is aware that Unomedical are leaving the Convatec market.
- Product codes will be available while stocks last (AWSL).
- Once stock has been depleted, all affected product codes will be discontinued and no longer available to order via NHS Supply Chain.
- We are currently working through the list of affected products to map alternatives (where available), for each discontinued product code. This will allow for continuity of service to trusts.
- An ICN with further details will be issued as soon as possible to reflect all products being delisted and their alternatives.
Moved to ICN
‘Early Informs’ in this section have now progressed to an ICN and can now be found in our ICNs section. Customers are advised to regularly visit our ICN pages https://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/product-information/customer-notices/
Supply Issue Medtronic Ltd Balloon Dissector FAL057
Date: 24 April 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a potential supply issue affecting Medtronic Balloon Dissector extra view balloon oval pack of 5, FAL057.
Date: 23 March 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of supply issues with GBUK catheters due to a raw material shortage limiting supply across the range.
Syringes Needles and Associated Products – Polyflush Prefilled Syringes
Date: 20 March 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a change to the label of these products:
Polyflush Prefilled Syringes – Sterile Content 3ml, 5ml, 10ml
FWC620, FWC640 and FWC658
Supply Issues Respiratory Related Products – Multiple Suppliers
Date: 11 January 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has recognised a significant increase in demand for respiratory related products, due to the current increase in respiratory illnesses.
Supply Issues Energy Devices (Laparoscopic) Johnson & Johnson
Date: 9 January 2023
- The supplier Johnson & Johnson Limited has informed us of a supply issue with its Lot 2: Energy Devices product FGE9514 – Laparoscopic Energy Device HARMONIC 1100 SHEARS 36CM.
Supply Issues Electrodes Ultrasound Gels Defibrillation and Related Consumables
Rocket Medical and Fannin (Stroud)
Date: 22 December 2022
- NHS Supply Chain is aware of a problem with CE Certification / MDR leading to supply issues with four products.
Supply Issues Infant Feeding and Associated Accessories
Medela UK Ltd
Date: 25 October 2022
- NHS Supply Chain is aware of a backlog of orders and shipping delays following the implementation of a new ordering system by Medela UK Ltd.
Supply Issues Drapes
Medline and 3M
Date: 25 January 2022
- NHS Supply Chain is aware of an issue with drapes supplied by Medline and 3M.
These ‘Early Informs’ are resolved and therefore do not require the publication of an ICN. They previously appeared in our ‘In Progress’ section.
Resolved: Supply Issues Smiths Medical Multiple Products
Date: 4 May 2023
- NHS Supply Chain has been made aware of a one week ordering and shipping suspension from Smiths Medical due to an IT migration.
- Smiths Medical’s systems will be offline from Friday 12 May until Thursday 18 May.
- Orders for products available via the Blue Diamond and eDirect supply routes placed during this time will not be processed by the supplier until Thursday 18 May, resulting in delivery delays of these products.
- This will not impact orders for stocked product codes.