Impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on the specialised High-Cost Tariff-Excluded Devices (HCTED) programme
New migrations to the central supply route
To allow NHS providers to devote maximum operational effort to the COVID-19 action plan we are advising a temporary pause on any new migrations to the central supply route for HCTEDs. If an NHS provider wishes to complete the migration of a HCTED category they should discuss this with their respective NHS Supply Chain Implementation Manager.
Completed migration: Where an NHS provider has completed migration to the central supply route, they must continue to place orders via this route.
Clinical optimisation of HCTEDs: Where DWG clinical chairs are available to support, development of clinical device specifications will continue.
Financial reconciliation process (FRP): The FRP will be suspended temporarily until further notice. HCTED stocktake sheets will not be issued and a formal stocktake is not required on 31 March 2020. We will notify you when the FRP is to resume. In the interim, the HCTED spend via the ZCM will be closely monitored at the centre, with any unusual orders checked with NHS Supply Chain.
See our Useful Links 🔗 section for information on the NHS England website.
Created in collaboration with the Trust Champion to ensure a realistic and robust approach, this will provide over-arching visibility and timing for the migration of all categories that are in scope for each trust.
See our Downloads ▼ section on this page for an example PDF file showing a work plan.
Transactional Report (TR33) is available to trusts to self-serve through our website in support of the NHS England High-Cost Tariff-Excluded Devices (HCTEDs) programme.
This report will give you information about your transactions on HCTEDs through the central supply route. Updated on a weekly basis, you can access the report by logging on to our website and selecting TR Reports.
If you require any further information about the report, then please contact us:
NHS Supply Chain: Orthopaedics, Trauma and Spine, and Ophthalmology Support Team
NHS Supply Chain: Cardio-vascular, Radiology, Audiology and Pain Management Team
The following HCTED categories are currently within scope of the programme:
- Bone anchored hearing aids – Now referred to as Bone Conducting Hearing Implants (BCHIs)
- Deep brain, vagal, sacral, spinal cord and occipital nerve stimulators
- Intrathecal drug delivery pumps
- ICD (Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator)
- ICD with CRT (Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy) capability
- Three-dimensional mapping and linear ablation catheters used for complex cardiac ablation
- Radiofrequency, cryotherapy and microwave ablation probes and catheters
- Occluder, vascular, appendage and septal devices
- Percutaneous valve repair and replacement devices (mitral/pulmonary valve)
- Peripheral vascular stents
- Carotid, iliac and renal stents
- Endovascular stent graft
- Aneurysm coils
- Flow diverters for intracranial aneurysms
- Intracranial stents
- Lengthening nails for limb reconstruction and circular external fixator frames
Further categories that include bespoke prostheses used in orthopaedic and maxillofacial practice are currently outside the scope of the programme.