National supply system for high-cost tariff-excluded devices
Recovery of the specialised high-cost tariff-excluded devices (HCTED) programme following the COVID-19 outbreak
The HCTED programme has restarted working with NHS providers and NHS Supply Chain colleagues, throughout July and August 2020.
New migrations to the central supply route: This is an area of work that can deliver better value whilst other cost improvement initiatives may be more difficult to achieve at this challenging time.
Clinical optimisation of HCTEDs: Wherever practical clinical chairs and advisors are re-engaging with the device working groups (DWG), recognising there may have been a pause in their involvement over recent months.
Financial Reconciliation Process (FRP): The FRP process will be re-introduced on 1 October 2020. Clear guidance on the requirements of this process will be shared in advance of this.
In April 2016, NHS England Specialised Commissioning introduced a new nationwide purchase and supply system for specific categories of high-cost tariff-excluded devices.
See our Useful Links 🔗 section for information on the NHS England website.
Designing a Bespoke Trust Work Plan
Created in collaboration with the Trust Champion to ensure a realistic and robust approach, this will provide over-arching visibility and timing for the migration of all categories that are in scope for each trust.
See our Downloads ▼ section on this page for an example PDF file showing a work plan.
Bespoke Transactional Reporting
Transactional Report (TR33) is available to trusts to self-serve through our website in support of the NHS England High-Cost Tariff-Excluded Devices (HCTEDs) programme.
This report will give you information about your transactions on HCTEDs through the central supply route. Updated on a weekly basis, you can access the report by logging on to our website and selecting TR Reports.
If you require any further information about the report, then please contact us:
NHS Supply Chain: Orthopaedics, Trauma and Spine, and Ophthalmology Support Team
NHS Supply Chain: Cardio-vascular, Radiology, Audiology and Pain Management Team
The following HCTED categories are currently within scope of the programme:
- Bone anchored hearing aids – Now referred to as Bone Conducting Hearing Implants (BCHIs)
- Deep brain, vagal, sacral, spinal cord and occipital nerve stimulators
- Intrathecal drug delivery pumps
- ICD (Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator)
- ICD with CRT (Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy) capability
- Three-dimensional mapping and linear ablation catheters used for complex cardiac ablation
- Radiofrequency, cryotherapy and microwave ablation probes and catheters
- Occluder, vascular, appendage and septal devices
- Percutaneous valve repair and replacement devices (mitral/pulmonary valve)
- Peripheral vascular stents
- Carotid, iliac and renal stents
- Endovascular stent graft
- Aneurysm coils
- Flow diverters for intracranial aneurysms
- Intracranial stents
- Lengthening nails for limb reconstruction and circular external fixator frames
Further categories that include bespoke prostheses used in orthopaedic and maxillofacial practice are currently outside the scope of the programme.