Specialised Services Devices Programme (SSDP)
SSDP (formerly known as the High-Cost Tariff-Excluded Devices programme)
Following the programme’s restart in autumn 2020, migrations of high-cost tariff-excluded device categories to the national supply route have progressed well and delivery is now underway for phase II. The current remit of the programme has grown to include links with wider innovations in the devices field and work on procurement processes for prosthetics centres. Recognising the work being undertaken across all programme workstreams, it is now often referred to as the Specialised Service Devices programme (SSDP).
Migrations to the central supply route: the programme has completed the majority of migrations planned to take place in phase I and ongoing support will continue for any legacy issues.
Clinical optimisation of devices: Clinical chairs and advisors in the device working groups (DWG) are continuing to refine the process for inclusion of new devices and range extensions within the existing national catalogue, as well as continuing work on device category specifications.
Financial reconciliation process (FRP): The FRP process for in scope devices is well established and we will continue to work with NHS Providers to adapt and refine this as arrangements change.
1a categories for migration: In addition to the current devices within the programme, several new categories are now to be included. These are known as 1a migrations and work to move these additional categories to the central supply route will take place during the 2022 / 2023 financial year.
For implementation and technical matters please email:
NHS Supply Chain: Cardio-vascular, Radiology, Endoscopy, Audiology and Pain Management Team:
See our Useful Links section for information on the NHS England website.
Bespoke Transactional Reporting
Transactional Report (TR33) is available to trusts to self-serve through our website in support of the NHS England Specialised Services Devices Programme (SSDP) programme.
This report will give you information about your transactions on SSDPs through the central supply route. Updated on a weekly basis, you can access the report by logging on to our website and selecting TR Reports.
The following SSDP categories are currently within scope of the programme:
- Bone anchored hearing aids – now referred to as bone conducting hearing implants (BCHIs)
- Deep brain, vagal, sacral, spinal cord and occipital nerve stimulators
- Intrathecal drug delivery pumps
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD)
- ICD with cardiac resynchronisation therapy (CRT) capabilities
- Three-dimensional mapping and linear ablation catheters used for complex cardiac ablation
- Radiofrequency, cryotherapy and microwave ablation probes and catheters
- Occluder, vascular, appendage and septal devices
- Percutaneous valve repair and replacement devices (mitral/pulmonary valve)
- Peripheral vascular stents
- Carotid, iliac and renal stents
- Endovascular stent graft
- Aneurysm coils
- Flow diverters for intracranial aneurysms
- Intracranial stents