The Chef’s Academy Concept was launched after identifying a gap in training and resources for NHS Chefs. We held our first session in October 2020. Watch our video for a short clip of the event.
The Academy provides a new and bespoke training ground in the form of a four hour event, run at culinary sites across the UK.
Key highlights of the day and benefits;
- Our hosts will provide live demonstrations of the dishes.
- Group cooking sessions with one-to-one support teaching culinary skills through hands-on cooking.
- Presentation from our Dietetics and nutrition team.
- Certificates presented at the end of the day.
- The Chef’s Academy events are run by our in-house culinary team and are free to attend for any NHS chef.
- Our team inspire attendees by sharing new recipes and analysis (including a look at cost and time efficiency).
- The event provides the opportunity to share best practice by meeting other NHS chefs, and external chefs too.
I’m passionate about food and want to support the growth of the NHS trusts that we work with. If we can increase our support for the culinary teams in hospitals around the country, then we can also create better environments for staff and visitors as well. Food is medicine, after all.Nick Vadis, culinary specialist in the NHS Supply Chain: Food team and leading on the Chef’s Academies.
Recipes used on the day have been created by our teams for NHS use and are mapped to our approved ranges of products. To give an idea of possible revenue that can be made in staff and visitor feeding areas, we will send recipe cards to all attendees as a follow-up to the event. The cards will include nutritional analysis and pricing.
Update on this event
With the recently published roadmap out of lockdown and the positive news surrounding the vaccine rollout, we have made the decision to continue with our March and April dates for NHS Chef’s Academies. We are committed to holding the events in person so that our culinary team can provide hands-on training in a kitchen setting.
We have a selection of venues and dates that have spaces available across the country in April and July. One could be near to you and your trust. For example:
- Food Sorcery Cookery School in Didsbury, Manchester on 27 April 2021.
See our Useful Links section and complete our enquiry form if you would like to be added to a waiting list for dates. A member of our team will be in touch.
All dates are pending changing COVID-19 restrictions. If changes do occur we will notify attendees with as much warning as possible and postpone the event to a suitable future date. All Chef’s Academy events will be in settings that allow enough space for social distancing and will have in place health and safety measures to keep attendees and our culinary team safe.