Non-Sterile Single Use Fluid-Resistant Surgical Facemasks (Type IIR)
Non-Sterile Single Use Fluid-Resistant Surgical Facemasks (Type IIR) have been split out from the Single Use Personal Protective Equipment and Medical Protective Consumables framework and are now a standalone framework agreement.
The Non-Sterile Single Use Fluid-Resistant Surgical Facemasks (Type IIR) framework is divided into two Lots covering products with and without anti fog:
- Lot 1a: Non Sterile Single Use Type IIR facemasks without Anti Fog Strip with Ties
- Lot 1b: Non Sterile Single Use Type IIR facemasks without Anti Fog Strip with Earloop
- Lot 2: Non Sterile Single Use Type IIR facemasks with Anti Fog Strip.
The framework has been split in to two launches. Lot 1a starts on 4 December 2023 and Lots 1b and and 2 will go live between January and March 2024 dependent on when existing stock of free PPE is depleted. We will update this page with further information about Lots 1b ad 2 when available. The framework ends on 3 September 2025. There is the option to extend for an additional 24 months.
The provision of COVID-19 PPE will continue to be free of charge until 31 March 2024 or until stocks are depleted (whichever is sooner). This means that some products will not be available at the framework launch.
Based on current customer ordering there is a forecasted transition for PPE product categories. See our Useful Links section for further information on the PPE Transition and the GOV.UK Free PPE Estimated Stock-Out Dates. This page is updated regularly.
We are aware that the NHS has not purchased Non-Sterile Single Use Fluid-Resistant Surgical Facemasks (Type IIR) products for over two years and following the pandemic the usage of PPE products has increased.
To assist our customers, we have created a Budget Forecast Product Listing that enables you to input predicted volumes and it will calculate the annual expenditure. It is also important that customers return their completed forecasted product listing to help with demand management on the return to the paid PPE model. See our Useful Links section to access this file.
The clinical evaluation of the products on this framework has been a piece of continuous work across the pandemic and as part of this framework sourcing strategy. It has been a complex and ongoing process that has been continually reflective and reliant on the NHS clinicians and organisational bodies. Here is an overview of stakeholder engagement:
- A Customer Engagement Panel was set up by the PPE cell to discuss products and information in the height of the pandemic. Customer feedback and engagement from the panel has been used to shape the specification for the products on this framework.
- Members of regulatory bodies, NHS England, the PPE cell, and the NHS Supply Chain Category Team held regular meetings to discuss requirements of products and ensuring products provided met the clinical specification and compliance.
- 36 different stakeholders were involved in the clinical engagement for this framework. Stakeholders from following job roles Theatre Practitioners, Lead Nurse for Infection Control, Head of Infection Control, Theatre Leads, Surgeons, Dental Practitioners, Dentists, Clinicians, PPE Manager, and Environment and Sustainability Managers.
Net Zero and Social Value
From April 2022 all of our frameworks have adopted the Procurement Policy Notice 06/20. The suppliers on this framework have demonstrated their plans for:
- Equal opportunity
There are 8 suppliers in total on this framework. This is the full list of suppliers available on this framework:
Global Health and Safety Ltd.
Globus (Shetland) Ltd
ISOL8 Healthcare Ltd
Meditrade UK Ltd
Medline Industries Ltd
ISOL8 Healthcare Ltd
Medline Industries Ltd
- Leading suppliers on contract – providing enhanced range and value from a single source.
- Pay less – with NHS Supply Chain you have a wider range of product options so you can select the ones that are fit for purpose and value for money.
- Leave your tendering to us – spend less time and money on tendering and let our procurement specialists undertake it on your behalf.
- Back office savings – the efficiency of our service, ranging from e-ordering to consolidated deliveries, enables significant back office savings.
- An integrated approach – the financial benefits of NHS Supply Chain go beyond just product prices. Our approach is an integrated one that reduces cost throughout the supply chain, from raw materials to global logistics, resulting in a much lower total cost.
- Purchasing through our route – when there are changes in the market, we can help minimise the impact of price rises and give support with cost saving initiatives.
Our knowledge and expertise
- Dedicated Customer Relationship Managers – your day to day contact for all queries. They will help you identify savings opportunities, solve any issues on your behalf and ensure high service levels are always met.
- NHS Supply Chain Buyers – procurement specialists in their product fields who can give expert advice on new and alternative products.
- Implementation Team – experts in helping you set up the new processes and training required when introducing new products.
- Customer Services Team – with the daily support provided by our dedicated and knowledgeable advisors and service managers you know you are in safe hands.
- Customer Assurance – providing customers with the confidence and assurance of products using a process of clinical evaluation and engagement with clinical users. This ensures all products are clinically assured by the CaPA process supported by engagement with an aligned Trusted Customer.
Peace of mind
- Dependable deliveries – having access to the know-how and resources of one of the world’s largest logistics companies means we can offer unrivaled dependability and responsiveness when it comes to our delivery services.
- Framework agreement – awarded in accordance with European procurement legislation.
- Sustainable development – we are certified to ISO 140001 International Standard for Environment Management System.