Minimally Invasive Surgery
This framework starts on 8 November 2021, runs for 24 months and ends on 7 November 2023. There is the option to extend for an additional 24 months.
Minimally invasive surgery allows the surgeon to use techniques that limit the size and number of cuts, or incisions, that they need to make. This procedure is also known as Laparoscopy or keyhole surgery and it’s typically considered safer than open surgery. The surgeon uses small tools, cameras, and lights that fit through several tiny cuts in your skin.
The advantages of minimally invasive surgery include:
- A shorter hospital stay and faster recovery time
- Less pain and bleeding after the operation
- Reduced scarring.
Most of the products are single use. These products are mainly used in operating theatres/day surgery units by scrub nurses and surgeons.
All key suppliers, and 19 new suppliers, have been awarded onto this framework, along with more than 5,000 new products, giving customers greater product choice. Over 6,500 products are available on the framework in total.
There are six Lots on this new framework:
- Lot 1: Clips and Clip Appliers
- Lot 2: Energy Based Devices
- Lot 3: Surgical Stapling Devices
- Lot 4: Laparoscopic Instrumentation
- Lot 5: Trocars
- Lot 6: Abnormal Uterine Bleeding Systems.
The framework provides a National Pricing Matrix (NPM) from a number of suppliers, which will allow savings opportunities for customers who are able to consolidate their purchasing.
If you are interested in making savings via the NPM, please speak to your NHS Supply Chain Customer Relationship Manager.
Important notice – for stocked products only.
Following the move to Buy Price = Sell Price, new contract / framework prices will only come into effect when stock of all product at the old contract / framework price has been depleted.
See our Downloads ▼ section for the latest Product Listings.
There are 49 suppliers in total on this framework.
- 30 suppliers are incumbent
- 19 suppliers are new to the framework
- 14 suppliers have been delisted: 365 Healthcare, Alesi Surgical Ltd, Assut Uk Ltd, Erbe Medical Uk Ltd, Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd, Genesys Medical Solutions (Uk) Ltd, Iona Surgical Ltd, Minitouch Ltd, Pennine Healthcare All Routes, Q Medical Technologies Limited, Sisk Healthcare T/A M.E.D. Surgical, Smith & Nephew Healthcare Ltd, Surgica Limited and York Medical Technologies Ltd.
This is the full list of suppliers available on this framework:
- Applied Medical UK Ltd
- Aquilant Ltd
- B Braun Medical Limited
- BioSpectrum Ltd
- Cardiac Services Ltd
- ConMed UK Ltd
- Elemental Healthcare Ltd
- Fairmont Medical Products Limited
- Fannin Limited
- Hologic Ltd
- Inomed Health Limited
- Johnson and Johnson Medical Ltd
- June Medical Limited
- Karl Storz
- Kebomed UK Ltd
- Laprosurge Limited
- Lawmed Ltd
- Locamed Limited
- Mediplus Ltd
- Medtronic Limited
- Molnlycke Health Care Ltd
- Olympus Keymed
- Operating Room Systems Ltd
- Purple Surgical UK Limited
- RB Medical Engineering Ltd
- SRA Developments Ltd
- Starkstrom Ltd
- Surgical Holdings
- Vernacare Ltd.
New suppliers to the framework
- Avicenna Surgical Limited
- Creed Medical
- Eurosurgical Ltd
- Genmed Enterprises Ltd
- GenX Medicare Ltd
- GS Medical Healthcare
- Integra Lifesciences
- Judd Medical Limited
- Mercian Surgical Supply Company Ltd
- Meril GmBH
- Pharmed UK Limited
- Pierson Surgical Ltd
- Prosys International Ltd
- Schultz Medical UK Ltd
- Stryker UK Ltd
- Surgical Instruments Group Holdings Ltd
- Unisurge International Limited
- VanGuard AG
- Welfare Medical Ltd.
Lot 1: Clips and Clip Appliers
Clips are placed by Clip appliers onto blood vessels or as tissue markers. They are usually dis-pensed as a single clip from either a disposable applier which may take cartridges of clips as a refill or by a reusable clip applier which will often load a single clip.
Lot 2: Energy Based Devices
These devices utilise ultrasonic, advanced bipolar or bipolar energies as their primary function in or-der to dissect and, in some cases, seal the tissues, blood vessels etc, more recently devices have been launched into the market that have both forms of energy in one system. Advanced products will use tissues impedance changes to modify the energy levels and waves, this tries to reduce collateral tissue damage and prevent charring of the tissues which can lead to later bleeding occurring.
Lot 3: Surgical Stapling Devices
The purpose of these devices is to seal a large tissue area of varying thickness and length. The cartridges are often coded to represent the length and depth of the staples. Some brands may require a different stapler for each type of cartridge.
Lot 4: Laparoscopic Instrumentation
These will include, dissectors, graspers, surgical shears, suction/irrigation devices, retractors.
Lot 5: Trocars
A trocar is a medical device that is made up of an obturator, and a cannula. Trocars are placed through the abdomen during laparoscopic surgery. The obturator sits inside the cannula and allows the cannula to penetrate the skin and tissues without coring and helps guide the tissues around the cannula. The obturator functions as a portal for the subsequent placement of instruments or endo-scopes, such as graspers, scissors, staplers, etc. There are number of types of trocars including Bladed, Blunt Tip and Bladeless.
Lot 6: Abnormal Uterine Bleeding Products
Includes devices to resect and remove tissue, including a range of fibroids and polyps and endome-trial ablation procedures to treat women who suffer from Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.
- Leading suppliers on contract – providing enhanced range and value from a single source.
- Pay less – with NHS Supply Chain you have a wider range of product options so you can select the ones that are fit for purpose and value for money.
- Leave your tendering to us – spend less time and money on tendering and let our procurement specialists undertake it on your behalf.
- Back office savings – the efficiency of our service, ranging from e-ordering to consolidated deliveries, enables significant back office savings.
- An integrated approach – the financial benefits of NHS Supply Chain go beyond just product prices. Our approach is an integrated one that reduces cost throughout the supply chain, from raw materials to global logistics, resulting in a much lower total cost.
- Purchasing through our route – when there are changes in the market, we can help minimise the impact of price rises and give support with cost saving initiatives.
Our knowledge and expertise
- Dedicated Customer Relationship Managers – your day to day contact for all queries. They will help you identify savings opportunities, solve any issues on your behalf and ensure high service levels are always met.
- NHS Supply Chain Buyers – procurement specialists in their product fields who can give expert advice on new and alternative products.
- Implementation Team – experts in helping you set up the new processes and training required when introducing new products.
- Customer Services Team – with the daily support provided by our dedicated and knowledgeable advisors and service managers you know you are in safe hands.
- Customer Assurance – providing customers with the confidence and assurance of products using a process of clinical evaluation and engagement with clinical users. This ensures all products are clinically assured by the CaPA process supported by engagement with an aligned Trusted Customer.
Peace of mind
- Dependable deliveries – having access to the know-how and resources of one of the world’s largest logistics companies means we can offer unrivaled dependability and responsiveness when it comes to our delivery services.
- Framework agreement – awarded in accordance with European procurement legislation.
- Sustainable development – we are certified to ISO 140001 International Standard for Environment Management System.